Sunday, October 28, 2007

One Sick Puppy


Our little doggie got sick yesterday, so I ended up going with my husband to take him to the vet. They thought it was a UTI, so they gave him a shot and ten days worth of antibiotic pills to take. He's felt really bad all day. He's not eating anything but is drinking water. He thinks he needs to pee constantly, but very seldom produces anything. He's been going in the house and since he's been totally housebroken I know this is as upsetting for him as for me.

My son brought his dog by and our dog didn't want to mess up his own bed, so he kept running over to the other dog's bed and peeing when he wasn't looking. After the third time of washing his bed, I just put it up.

The vet gave us pills to give him and we have always put them in a piece of cheese or lunchmeat and he'd take them that way in the past. Well, now he doesn't have any appetite, so we've had to hold open his mouth and put the pill way back at the back of his throat, and even though he's little (6 pounds) he clamps down and refuses to open his mouth at all, so it's quite a struggle.

That's about how our weekend has gone.

We're doing well with our sugar busters/ low carb diet. We planned out some meals for the next two weeks and bought groceries tonight. Lots of chicken, salmon, lean beef, and veggies. LOTS of veggies. We also bought whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta. We spent a long time of our shopping trip reading labels, and sugar is in EVERYTHING. It's no wonder so many people are diabetic.

Tomorrow night's meal is grilled salmon with lemon pepper, brown rice, and baked sweet potato. The next night it's grilled hamburgers on whole wheat buns with tomato, onion, and pickles. We bought some Hebrew national hot dogs and those are the best hot dogs I've ever tasted. YUM. They are also sugar free, so we plan to have them one night this week. We decided we'd have them with sauerkraut, got home and figured out they put SUGAR in the kraut!

I see now why old people don't have babies, because just taking care of a sick dog and taking care of regular household chores has worn me out. I hope the dog feels better tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I HATE hebrew national hot dogs. Plus they are expensive. David made me buy them this past summer when he forced me to make Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meal oven-baked corn dogs, and he ended up HATING the corn dogs. I was furious.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and sorry the doggie's sick. I hope my dog never gets to the point where she won't take her pills wrapped in cheese. She is strong, I'd never get her jaws open.