Monday, October 29, 2007

Update on Rags


My dog, Rags, is really sick. I took him back to the vet and he was just lying there, limp, whining, and shaking. They made me leave him and told me they would call me in an hour. I waited an hour and fifteen minutes and called back. They did an x-ray and he has a robin-egg sized bladder stone that they can see. His bladder is also not emptying, so they suspect there are others. They were getting ready to do a radioactive dye x-ray to see what others they could detect, and also try to catheterize him to relieve the full bladder. They said he is probably going to need surgery.

I'm sitting here waiting for them to call me back and let me know what is going on.
We had a dog before this one named Sam. I got Sam from the animal shelter for my kids right after their dad and I divorced. They had wanted a dog for a long time, school was out, we had just moved to the country, etc. Poor Sam had been found wandering in a neighborhood and had been at the dog pound for ten days, so he was getting close to his "expiration date." We brought him home and loved him for twelve years. Then he got a heart condition and the meds for the heart condition caused kidney damage, so we had to put him down. It was hard on all of us.

I had to work that day after they put him down. I went in the door crying and cried all day. My office workers felt sorry for me. One co-worker said her daughter had a little puppy she had gotten for her kids, but he wasn't housebroken, she had a new baby, etc. and couldn't keep him. She wanted to know if I wanted him. I just couldn't imagine loving another dog like I did Sam. I was still hurting and the thought of another dog just seemed too much.

At lunch she went home and got the puppy and brought him back to work. It was love at first sight. She told me her daughter's family had financial issues so this little puppy had none of his shots. I felt like I couldn't do anything for Sam, but at least I could help this little guy out by taking him to another vet near my office and getting his shots. I called my husband and asked him to meet me at that vet's office. He told me in no uncertain terms that he didn't think we needed another dog so soon, but I assured him if he didn't want this puppy for us, I had another man at work who was interested in adopting him. He agreed to meet me, took one look at Rags, and made him a part of our family. That was almost 3 1/2 years ago. I got him housebroken, crate trained, and he's been a good healthy little guy.

I'm really worried about him, and I'm worried because they aren't calling me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I hope everything turns out okay, even if he needs surgery. You should call when the time has passed . . .sometimes they get so busy they probably don't have a minute to get away.