Monday, April 14, 2008

Kindle, Fireplace, Being Broke


My husband was off Friday, so we had a long weekend. We didn't go anywhere, but spent most of our time catching up on old Survivor seasons we rented from Netflix. So we had a TV marathon. I also caught up on some napping, which was great.
I'm planning a trip to see my middle son in Seattle on May 6th. I'm going for two weeks, which was his idea. He's not going to be taking off work (new job), so I will spend my days with my Kindle, reading, or looking at the view. He has a great view of the lake from his balcony. Then we can go do a little sightseeing on the weekends.

It's cold here today, and is not suppose to get above the 40's. We had a guy from the classified come out and clean and adjust our gas logs in the fireplace, and so I used it this morning. It sure looks a lot more realistic since he worked on it. We even have some glowing rocks under the logs. I don't think they did that before.

It's a corner fireplace that blows into the hallway where our thermostat is, so if you run it, the heat never comes on, and the bedrooms get freezing. But it's great if you're planning on being in the living room and no one else is home, like today.
I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera and The Bell Jar on my Kindle. I have read the Bell Jar before, but it's been so long, I'm reading it over. Love in the Time of Cholera sure starts slow, but I am hopeful it will pick up.

My husband handles our bills. He gave me the "money talk" this weekend. He said he's had to consistently withdraw from savings the last three pay periods to cover things, partly because of the gas prices, and partly because of some unexpected expenses. Another thing we've been doing is going to the grocery every other week when he gets paid, buying two weeks worth of groceries, and then eating out a lot instead of cooking what we bought. So I told him I'd cut back on spending on food, and he's going to see about getting a security sticker for my car so he can drive it to work sometimes. I have a Civic and it's really good on gas. I told him I'd go without food as long as I have books. ha. He said I don't have to give up my books, just watch other stuff more closely.

I'm sure we're not the only ones having financial mess right now. Everything is getting so expensive. The therapist mentioned me going to every two weeks, so I think I'll take her up on that. That would save $30 in co-pays a month, not to mention the gas to drive over there. It's about a sixty mile round trip. We're just going to have to stop driving so much. I did get a great deal from Travelocity on my plane ticket. $169 round trip to Seattle, with taxes and all still around $200. Of course, it's flying on a couple of MD-80's from American Airlines that are undergoing the safety inspections and are grounded right now, so there could be a reason for the good pricing. ha.

As of today, I've lost 34 pounds. I'm so excited. I'm sold on this low-carb thing.
I'm teaching the twins today, so I better get off here. My husband is teaching them a history lesson every other Friday when he has his day off. He's great. I love his stories. He has taken us from Columbus's voyages through Ponce de Leon and the Fountain of Youth. He's great in history. I'm great in Math and Literature. Together we have almost a whole brain. ha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read 100 Years of Solitude. It started off slow and never much picked up.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

congrats on losing weight!

my husband fills up his gas tank 2 or 3 times a week in a truck which might b 8 cyl. i cant even remember. i think it IS! commute is 1.5 hours to MA. UGH!

i didnt like love in time of cholera; let me know what you think...i skimmed it to finish it and gave that puppy away!

Forest Lady said...

I made another attempt at Love in the Time of Cholera today, and it is soooo boring. I think I'll take your advice and start something else. Take that, Oprah!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.