Monday, May 19, 2008

Last Day In Seattle


I come home tomorrow. I've spent most of the day watching tv and avoiding packing, which means I'll have to do it at the last minute. I miss my family at home and when I go home I'll miss my son.
We have spent the last two days having adventures. We went to Canada.

Impressions of Vancouver: Very clean. Very crowded. No one wears jeans. We went to Chinatown. I took lots of pictures and will put them on here later. We also went to the Oriental Garden, which I LOVED. We took tons of pictures there. We had dinner at a Greek restaurant, which was awesome. I had a Greek Salad with Chicken. My son had lamb, and half my Greek Salad since it was ginourmous (Amy's word.)

Yesterday, we had Indian food in the Hippie section of Seattle. We saw green hair, pink hair, and blue hair, a woman with fishnet stocking with huge holes in them, lots of mohawks, lots of women with short hair and men with long hair, a lot of men in skirts (not kilts, long flowery skirts),a guy who walked down the entire sidewalk with a firm grasp on his crotch (what's up with that?), lots of dogs (everyone there was walking one or more dogs), and more dresses on women than I've ever seen in my life. No jeans. Lots of dresses. At home, you see women in dresses occasionally on Sunday (but most wear pants to church now) and casual means jeans. Or you see women in dresses during prom season.

We went to an old cemetery and took a lot of photos. My son found a tombstone that said Frederick Krueger. He was thrilled and even got out of the car to take pictures of that one. We went to the town where Northern Exposure was filmed. That's the town the cemetary was in, but right now the name escapes me.

I read that Huntsville, AL is voted one of the top ten places to live in the US.
My impressions of Seattle:
It was 84 here in Seattle yesterday. No one has air conditioning. The myths about rain are not true. It sprinkled on us twice in two weeks. There is no pollen here. We left windows open in the house and car and I didn't sneeze once.

Alabama: At home, you go outside, take one breath, and sneeze. Your car is yellow no matter what color it was when you bought it.
I've seen two homeless people in Huntsville in my lifetime. One guy everyone knew by name because he pushed a cart all around Huntsville. He slept at the downtown shelter at night. One guy I saw sleeping under an overpass once, until the police made him move on.

Seattle: A zadzillion homeless people. People rummaging through garbage cans, hanging out on street corners with other homeless people, standing on street corners begging, obviously mentally ill people talking jibberish to themselves while walking down the street (freaked me out.)

Seattle: Went to the huge bookstore everyone talks about. Wrote down a bunch of titles, came home and bought them less than half price for the Kindle. James Frey is going to be there tonight. My son asked if I wanted to see him. Naw. The traffic around that bookstore was unbelievable. We rode forever looking for parking. If it was Stephen King, I'd fight traffic. James Frey, naw. Although his new book has gotten good reviews, it's not a subject that sounds interesting to me.

I have stuck right to my low carb diet, except for the Indian food yesterday. I had a bit of white rice and some naan. Other than that, I've been sooooo good. Have I lost? Who knows. I sure hope so. I actually let my son take my picture in the Oriental Garden yesterday, even though I looked like a beached whale. I don't think I looked as fat as I used to.

I will write more when I get home. The only picture I'm posting with this entry is my granddaughter in her new sunglasses. How cute is that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vancouver is really nice, I love Canada! I actually thought about going to law school there, but figured they wouldn't let me practice in America with a Canadian law degree.

I really like Seattle, and keep trying to convince my husband that we should wind up somewhere around there. Only a four hour flight to Chicago, a 2 hour flight to my parents. But he doesn't want to move to more rain. We'll likely be up here forever, we can't agree on where to go. That and whether to have kids, we can't make up our minds.

Have a safe flight back home!