Sunday, May 11, 2008

Walking in Seattle


Yesterday, we went to have brunch at the restaurant on top of the space needle. It rotates so you can get a 360 degree view of the city. Going up in the elevator was creepy because it was on the outside of the building and glass on the front. Brunch was great. Then we went up to the observation deck, but I could not bring myself to go out on it. I'm freaked out in high places, like a deck that high with a wire fence and a few cables to keep you from falling off. The fact that a woman was holding her baby on the edge of the fence so she could look in a telescope freaked me out even more. I was glad when we were back on the ground.

Then we took the monorail downtown, walked about a mile, and went to Pike Place Market. We watched them throwing the fish, (I also saw a raw calamari, and I will never eat that again. Gross!) browsed in a bunch of stores, and then walked back to the monorail. By the time we walked up all the steep hills getting back, I was pooped. Man, am I out of shape. My son was tired, too, so maybe it wasn't just me or just old age.

Tonight we're driving back down there to go to the seafood restaurant, but he said we will park there and not have to walk. That's good because he went out and bought a PINBALL machine today off Craigslist. It weighed 250 lbs. He had a hand truck and a few bungee cords, and planned on having the neighbor help him get it up to the third floor where he lives. But the neighbor was not home. So.....I pushed, he pulled. Every few steps he'd have to sit down, then a few more and I'd have to stop. I thought we would die. He'd count, one, two, and then on three I'd shove and he'd pull and we'd get up one more step. It's in here now. Whew. I told him if he ever moves, he should just shove it off the balcony. It would be easier.

My daughter sent me the cutest card. My youngest son called yesterday to tell me Happy Mother's Day in case he forgot today. ha. He has ANOTHER new girlfriend, since the last time we talked. He thought he might be getting a job in Seattle. too, but he said he station is undergoing management changes and he hasn't heard anything else on it. He may just renew where he is.

I asked my husband if he missed me yet. He said he missed me the minute he left me at the security point. My son said, "Yeah, yeah, he had to say that." It was nice to hear anyway. I miss him, and I miss my dog. But I'm having a really good time. Last night we watched the Waitress. It's such a funny movie. I didn't tell him I had already seen it. Anyway, he laughed a lot and said it was pretty good, for a chick flick.

Our TV has been out at home, but my husband finally got the new cable in that he needed to run from the satellite into the house. After climbing in and out of the upstairs window and across the roof about ten times untangling wires, he now has his TV back, so he won't miss me nearly as much. I bought him a model of the Huey helicopter that is made totally out of wood. He likes military models since he works for Army Aviation.

I've been too pooped here to be Sleepless in Seattle, but I did find out that the house boat that was in that movie is for sale for a couple of million. I can't believe the house prices here. A one bedroom condo is 189 thousand and it's 650 sq ft, and nothing fancy. Little dinky houses are selling for 400K. Unbelievable. I have a three bedroom, three bath condo with ten feet tall ceilings, gas log fireplace, whirlpool tub, double car garage, etc. etc, built in '97, and I only paid 94K for it. Now they are selling in the 140's.

Another thing that surprised me is the number of Starbucks. Every block has one. EVERY block. We just got one in my home city. ONE. And everyone was thrilled. My son also showed me the big Amazon building up on the side of a hill here. He knows I'm an Amazon freak. Also, I guess I thought Seattle would be flat, because when we drove from California through Nevada, Utah, and Arizona for our honeymoon, everything was pretty flat and treeless. This place has beautiful trees and rolling hills. Tons of houses, built practically on top of each other, but plenty of trees. And under my son's window is a pond with ducks in it.

Well, enough about Seattle. I have to get my mind on seafood. I've done really good on the low-carb thing here. I had steak and asparagus at the brunch yesterday and two bites of bread pudding. I figured the walking canceled out that little bit. And seafood is easy to fit into low-carb.

I'm coming back here in October. Then he's coming home for Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you, we watch House Hunters and whenever they're in the south or near the south, it's all so cheap we want to pick up and move to get an enormous house with a ginormous yard. Of course, we figure the salaries are probably set to match. Did you go to Elliot's Oyster House? That's the big seafood place there. We went there last year because I wanted oysters, but I couldn't spend all that money on them. David was mad at me. Then, he went to Seattle a few months later with his dad, and his dad got oysters, and his dad was sick the rest of the night. So he stopped being mad at me.

Forest Lady said...

I think the higher end jobs have pretty competitive salaries, because Huntsville and the surrounding areas are known for their engineers that move in to take jobs here. It's a local joke that if someone moved here, they are probably an engineer of some sort for Nasa, or Marshall Space Flight Center, Boeing, etc. I think I posted that my husband moved with the large Army group from St Louis and the people were in shock at what size house their equity would buy them. All of a sudden, his average friends had ginormous houses (love your word ginormous).
We ate at Ivar's, but I'll post more about that today.