Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Un-Scrooging Myself

Well, my husband was not happy last night. However, he was a good loser and sat up late watching the acceptance speech. He is now in his "wait and see" stance. I feel good about my vote, and he never asked me who I voted for, as I think he probably figured it out anyway. Alabama went Republican, as usual, although the Democratic vote was more than is usual for us. Hopefully, that means we got a lot of people interested in voting this time around, especially young people who hadn't voted before.

My son in Washington called last night. The car he had stolen was located. Although they messed up the ignition, the rest of the car was intact. He went down and claimed it and is having the work done to fix the ignition. The police found it on a street near where he lives. He's going to buy some kind of burglar-proof device to install in the vehicle to keep it from happening again.
I bought my turkey roast today for Thanksgiving. We are having Herbed Boneless Turkey Roast, Mashed Potatoes, English Peas, Cranberry Sauce, Deviled Eggs, Yeast Rolls and a dessert. I think my Mom, daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter, my husband, and I will be eating.

I've decided to make a real effort this year to make Christmas a good time for my husband. I was looking at a Christmas catalog the other night and found a beautiful white tree. It looked like snow in the forest to me, and I told my husband I could actually get excited over Christmas with a tree like that. I was half-kidding, but he grabbed the catalog to look and got all excited that something....anything....could get me excited. Then he told me we'd try to get a new tree if that would help me love Christmas, because he LOVES Christmas. I felt bad that I've been such a scrooge about Christmas up until now. We probably won't buy a new tree. We don't need one, as we have a perfectly good tree in the attic. But I plan to do some decorating. I have boxes and boxes of Christmas things in the attic. Christmas we will have a much bigger group eating dinner, and I'm thinking a Honeybaked Ham would be good to have again.



I bought a Knifty Knitter set of round looms, made a hat, and am now working on a scarf. When I was a little girl, my grandmother would take a wood thread spool and put nails around the opening. Then we'd use her crochet threat to make a long knitted worm, which we called a bookmark, a bracelet, whatever you can call a knitted worm. ha. I could never grasp crocheting or knitting on previous attempts, but this is easy. It's also relaxing to do in front of the tv in the evening.

The weather is getting colder here. I bought a new wool peacoat this year, but it hasn't been cold enough for me to wear it. It's suppose to get into the 30's Friday night, so maybe it's getting to be coat weather.

I won a $20 Amazon gift card for a blog entry I did for a site where I won the writing contest a few weeks ago. I wrote about what I did with the prize money, and they seemed to like it.

My cleaning lady was suppose to come at noon. I got up early, straightened up the house, took the dogs to the groomer to get them out from underfoot, and ran early to the grocery store. When I got home, put up groceries, no cleaning lady. She called about 10 to say she is down in her back. I told her just to wait and come in two weeks then. She said she needed the money and might come today anyway. Huh? I said well, if you are hurting, you should probably stay home. Then she said she needed the money for Christmas. So I said well, you can come, or you can wait two weeks, either way. So she said she'd call me back and let me know. No word after an hour. So I called her back again. She's coming, and I'm so confused.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait and see is good. I don't understand those people who the day after their candidate loses, are all up in arms that the world is going to end. At least give the person a chance, before declaring him a disaster. I think that Obama is at the least very smart enough to pick people that are the best in their areas, and in the areas he is weakest in. And for all those people who say he's not experienced, well he may not have as much as McCain, but I'd rather have an experienced backup, than an inexperienced ninny like Palin as the backup. Biden at least can help Obama; Palin wouldn't. And I can say that I'm sorry, governing Alaska for two years isn't good enough experience.

I always say I'm going to get one of those knitting things. I learned to crochet a few years ago, and then after a hotel maid threw away sweater I'd spent months making for my nephew, and my SIL never let my nephew wear the hat, I gave up. Now, I was starting back on a ladybug blanket I'd started making a few years ago, and I just can't remember how to do it!

Cathy said...

I bought one of those knifty knitter kits. I ended up taking it back because I couldn't figure out how to do it. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around it.

Sorry to hear about your son's car. How is the job hunting going for him?

Forest Lady said...

Cathy, he's been doing interviews almost every day, either phone interviews or in person, but no job yet.
I ordered a DVD about using the knitter loom. I can do a basic stitch now, but thought I could learn more about it from seeing it done rather than reading the pitiful instruction book. You're probably not the only one who took their's back. The booklet that comes with it sucks.