Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Trivial Pursuit


Today is cleaning lady day, which means I spend the morning straightening up everything and then spend the afternoon watching for her to get here. It gets later each time. Who knew having a cleaning lady could be so stressful. I'd like her to be through when my husband gets home, so when she gets here, I have to leave. If I stay, because we used to work together and she thinks I'm a good listener, she talks instead of cleaning. I like talking with her, but hate seeing the clock tick closer and closer to my husband getting off work and no housecleaning getting finished. It's like hairdressers. I never liked the ones who talked. I like the ones who are fast, who throw you in the chair, cut like crazy, are a wizard with the blow dryer and WA-LA! You're done. Pay. Out the door.

I played cards at the senior center yesterday. It was fun. We looked like a large convention of Christmas sweaters. I know Christmas sweaters are suppose to be ugly by fashion standards. (Even Ebay has whole groups of ads on UGLY Christmas sweaters) but I think a giant Santa across your chest is much more fashionable than a plaid shirt tail hanging out under a t-shirt. Tim Gunn may disagree, but if he joined our card players, we'd have him in a Christmas sweater before you know it.

Still no job for the son in Seattle. Keep praying. I want to say pray he gets one in Alabama, or at least Nashville, but he'd like to get one there. Right now, he'd just like to get a job period.

Gas here is down to $1.63. That's unreal. I hope it holds through the holidays.

My son-in-law is going to put me up a tile backsplash when they come for Christmas. I am so excited to have something besides painted sheetrock between my cabinets. I've wiped splatters until there's not a lot of paint left. I got tile in my guest bathroom a couple of years ago, and I love it. I know I will really enjoy having this backsplash too. Someday I'm going to rip out this living room carpet and put down either new carpet or new hardwood or laminate. Reading about Cathy's made me want it even more. It sure makes a room look clean.

I feel bad as I post this, talking about such trivial things on my blog when so many people are facing such hard things this Christmas, but my life right now is about trivial things, and that is a blessing in itself. I think it's only when things calm down in our own lives that we take the time to look around and see the problems others are facing, and we feel for them. Especially at Christmas.

Yes, we went to church Sunday. My husband actually liked the sermon. I wish I could say I did, but I actually did too much daydreaming to be able to comment. I'll try to do better next time.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

You've earned the trivial stuff so, enjoy it.

Gas is down here also. I keep trying to think of places I need to go just so I can drive on some cheap gas.

I'll pray for a job for the boy...either Nashville or Alabama.