Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Reading, Ranting, and the Ridiculous


Books read so far in 2009:
The Rock Orchard by Paula Wall-- it's about the women of the Belle family and other characters in this small town, at the diner, the doc, the preacher, etc. Started out great and I thought for the first ten chapters it was going to be the best book I've ever read, but then the author sort of lost it and tried to package everything up too quickly. I was very disappointed. First half of book 5 stars Last half 2 stars, total score averaged 3.5

Follow the River by James Thorn- Based on a true story about a woman abducted by Indians who tries to make her way back home. This was an old yellowed copy I bought at a used book sale and found tucked into the back of my bookcase. VERY good book. Unbelievable what this woman had to go through, but you won't be able to put it down. They actually made a movie out of this, but the book is better according to what I have read about them both. I'd give this one a 5.0. I would read this over again.

I'm learning to tell people no when asked to do something I know I don't need to do. It's hard for me to say no to anyone. It comes back to that "what if they don't like me" thing. But I figured out if I try to please everyone, then I don't like me.

My MIL leaves tomorrow. I thank you all for putting up with my belly-aching about her being here. I'll shut up now, until she comes back in July.

I have beautiful new tile in my kitchen, and now my light fixture seems to have konked out. It's fluorescent, and I hope it is just a matter of needing bulbs, but it's never acted like this before. It comes on but barely, more of a faint glow, very faint. In the South, we still believe men should fix things (I know my daughter is shaking her head. Ok, old people in the South still believe this.) My husband is not a fixer. That can be very frustrating at times. However, he is great at running errands, so I guess that makes up for his lack of fixing talents. I'm going to try replacing the bulbs tomorrow. I'm still trying to train him about the umbrella thing. Now that's something every man should know about. Men get the car when it's raining and pick up the women at the door. At the very least, they have an umbrella to hold over you. Geez. Where was he raised? Oh yeah, not here.

Since I got my bathroom scales and started watching my weight, I've gained two pounds. Maybe just watching it is not enough. ha.

Pet peeve: Robin McGraw writing books. She is an expert on aging because? Don't tell me it's because she looks so great for 55. If I had her money, I'd look good, too. Really, Dr Phil has taken nepotism to an all time high level. His son is now an expert on bullies, his wife on aging, etc. And how did Dr Phil think himself an expert on wt loss. He has two chins.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

The next time we're down there James will install your new light fixture. I'm not sure when that will be though. We are tired of driving and glad to be home.