Sunday, January 04, 2009

Tick tock tick tock............


I think I've pretty much blown all my NY resolutions by now. Must be a new record. I haven't walked one day, had three pieces of pizza tonight, have already ordered three books from Amz (read one and a half though, still behind the buy/read ratio)...On the other hand, I did go to church today, have been nicer to my husband, and have been good to myself. How do I know I've been taking care of myself, you ask?

Well, MIL is still here. I haven't killed her or lost my cool with her. I pretty much have only talked to her when I have to the last few days. She hasn't noticed though. I figured out as long as she thinks everyone is doing things the way she wants, she is happy. And as long as I can call her names in my head, I'm happy. Win-win. Ok, yes I am a bit afraid of what I'm thinking accidentally coming out my mouth (It's your turn to deal the cards, you old witch!) but so far I've been able to handle it. I know. I know. I need more church. ha.


Even women at Sunday school are giving me pity looks when I drag her with me into class Sunday after Sunday. One lady leaned over to her this morning and said, "Are you still visiting?" MIL said yes. Then the lady said, "Thought maybe you had moved here." I won't even tell you what I was saying in my mind at that point.

I gave MY mom a big soft terry robe for Christmas last year. This year she wrapped it back up and gave it back to me (it was not my only present from her.) I loved it. I'm wearing it now. What other family could have a member give you back your present and say it was way too big for her but she figured it would fit my fat butt just fine, and me be happy about it? One of my best presents, actually, besides my son-in-law and daughter giving me the kitchen backsplash and my George Foreman grill. I just hope I'm not going to have to cook anymore for my MIL before she leaves...She's leaving Wednesday, counting the hours........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, she kind of has a point about the criminal not getting letters. But whatever, even if his mom doesn't write him, and even if she has very good reasons for not doing so, at least you can do it and not be caught up in those reasons.

Forest Lady said...

I just cannot imagine turning my back on one of my kids no matter what he had done. I may not like the behavior but I'd still love the child. This guy is the age of my children, and I feel for him. I really do.

Anonymous said...

Maybe she just can't trust him anymore and needs time away after all he's done.

Cathy said...

I can set boundaries with my child but I could never turn my back on him. I can't imagine going a birthday or christmas without at least a card.

The unconditional love I have for my child would not allow me to do that.

I'm in a bad place with Taylor. He has no place in my home if he can't respect my rules and me. You can bet he hears from me twice a week though and won't ever go without a card on his birthday or a holiday.

That is just a crying shame!

Forest Lady said...

I think all mothers have to be willing to let their children hate them at times, in order to do what is right for the child. When my youngest left home at 18, he was angry and said I hate you. I said well I love you and always will. No matter what they do or say, they will always be loved by me, and I will never turn my back on them. My stupid ex buys Christmas only for the kids who see him. The one that is angry with him, he ignores at holidays. I think my ex is a moron, and that's only because the words I want to say about what he does to my son's heart when he shows favoritism based on how he reacts to him, cannot be said on blogger. It doesn't matter how the child feels or what he does, you're the parent for God's sake. I agree with you Cathy. You have to do what is right for the child, but you never stop loving them, no matter what.