Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Musical Chairs, Oz, and Cheerios


I've been paying homeowner's dues here since 2000, and it's only been in the last few months that I've actually taken part in any activities. I've never been in the pool, never used the tennis courts, never had family members use the playground. I did rent the clubhouse for my daughter's baby shower, but since I had to pay a fee to use it, I didn't look at that as a perk of my homeowner's dues, not really. So when we started playing cards at the clubhouse, I figured maybe I'm reaping some benefit of all those dollars.
Well, we had glass top tables and some pretty comfortable dining chairs, and that's what we've been using for cards. Our president decided that we really shouldn't be using those tables for our card-playing group, and she got WalMart card tables and folding chairs.
Well, I don't care what kind of table I sit at to play cards, but I'm pretty picky about what kind of chair I'm going to sit three hours straight in, and the new chairs suck. Some of the others figured that out pretty quickly, too, and so when we arrive to play, there was some musical chairs, or shifting of chairs. Last night our dear homeowner's president (drippy sarcasm there) announced that we must use the folding chairs and not the dining chairs, because the dining chairs are fragile. One lady immediately stood up to her and said she could not sit in the folding chairs because the seat was too short and they were uncomfortable. Pres lady said they are not shorter, etc..and on it went. So Pres lady leaves and chairs start moving all over the place. Seems no one wants her to tell them where they can sit. I can feel a fight coming on.
I don't like fights, and I don't like arguing, but I doubt this one can be avoided. I sat there last night thinking I probably won't get to play cards much longer, because I don't want to be there when the darts start flying. (Now as for me, I'm sitting there last night thinking what chair I can bring from home to avoid the whole question of which of the clubhouse chairs to use)
My question is, since I pay dues, and that means I own as much a chunk of those chairs as Pres lady, who is she to say what chairs we use. And if the dining chairs are fragile, what is she saving them for? Someone to rent the clubhouse only to have their guests dumped in the floor when the back breaks off the chair?
None of this may sound that interesting, but hey, it's the most excitement I've had around here in awhile.
So Dr Oz was on the View yesterday, saying we should all be prepared with food and water to be quarantined in our homes in case the Swine Flu gets out of control. My husband said he thought he'd run by the grocery and buy a little extra food to tuck away. He brings home three boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios and six cans of Mini Ravioli.
ha. I swear that's what he bought. And no milk for the cereal.
I figured out why I don't get much done in my house. It's because I'm addicted to tv and my computer. I decided to get up in the morning and check email, then turn off both until noon. I've managed to throw out three garbage bags of unwanted stuff and clean (and I mean CLEAN) two rooms, ceiling to floors and everything in between. And that's just yesterday and today.
At noon, I make lunch and watch All My Children. Then I get busy again. My house smells like Pine-sol. (NO, not the lemon kind!) I figure if I keep this up, I'll have the whole downstairs decluttered in two or three weeks. Now if I can just figure out how to keep my husband from going through the garbage bags. Maybe I can just distract him with some cheerios.

3 comments:

Jammie J. said...

I laughed when you wrote what your husband brought home for "emergency rations"... ha ha ha!

Your president is weird. Unless you card players are 300 pounds each, what difference does it make what chair you sit on? Last I heard, chairs are for sitting on, after all...

Forest Lady said...

Jammie, the one who was arguing about it was ninety pounds, maybe, soaking wet.

Cathy said...

Honey Nut Cheerios and Mini Ravioli? Now that is a man after my own heart! He and I would get along famously because those are two things that are always in my pantry.

The president lady has some issues. Maybe you could refer her to a good therapist. If she got her head shrunk she would have better things to do with her time that try and dictate what chairs people can sit in.