Monday, May 04, 2009

Look at My "NEW" Table!



My hubby moved my grandmother's table downstairs and it now takes one end of my kitchen. Everytime I look at it, I remember sitting at that table at my grandmother's house eating hot oatmeal with raisins. I'd love to add more vintage or vintage-look items to my kitchen as the budget permits. I really like the way it looks. I can see myself sitting there copying recipes or writing my short stories.

My son moved out into his apartment and I miss him something awful. I have to admit I enjoyed having someone here to fuss over and to cook for besides just me and hubby. I got up everyday and made his lunch. He said I'd have to come over to his apartment and make lunch for him everyday. ha. I hate empty nests. You get used to being needed for something and then you aren't anymore. (Honestly, I know that's not true, but that's how I feel today.) I miss my kids being little and running around while I made dinner.
I am making a strawberry cake today from a Paula Deen show. Here is the recipe:

Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

* 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
* 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
* 1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
* 4 large eggs
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup water


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
* 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
* 7 cups confectioners' sugar
* Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:

In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.

Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.


I am not going to make the strawberry icing exactly as it called for, as I couldn't find strawberry extract. I am just going to make cream cheese icing and add a bit of the strawberry puree and a couple of drops of red food coloring to pink it up.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

"I miss my kids being little and running around while I made dinner."

While I was trying to get dinner in the oven tonight child was whining to eat so I put her in her booster seat and fixed her some pasta.

I went back to fixing our dinner and she finished eating hers and started flinging pasta on the floor that I had just mopped. I got her down and started cleaning up her mess but then she had to go use the potty.

I took her and then went back to cleaning up her mess but she fell down and hurt herself and I had to go console her.

I was still trying to clean up her mess when hubby called, wanting to know what was for dinner. I told him nothing because I couldn't get it ready because I was being pulled in a thousand directions. He said he would let me go and I finally got it in the oven. By that time child was upstairs knocking over a lamp. Fun times!

Forest Lady said...

Believe it or not, you will look back on those "fun times" twenty years from now, and you will give anything to have them back.

Jammie J. said...

That table looks good there. :)

Your strawberry cake sounds good. Was it good?

Forest Lady said...

It was delicious. I didn't use the icing recipe. I took canned cream cheese icing and added about 1/2 cup of the strawberry puree and enough powdered sugar to make it thick again. The cake is even better the second day. Yum.

Cathy said...

Your table looks like my grandmother's old table. The one she had was a solid white on top though.

Seeing that photo brings back so many pleasant memories of supper at her house.