Thursday, January 13, 2005

Just a Dulcimer 'N Fool

I LOVE this ginger sized (3/4 size) dulcimer I got from McSpadden. It sounds so much better than the other one I borrowed from my dulcimer teacher. It sounds so smooth and mellow, even with me playing it. It's really easy to learn. I already know three songs pretty well. I can't believe I didn't do this years ago. I've seen the beginning dulcimer classes in the community ed brochures for years and have thought about it many times. But having tried the piano, and thinking it was sooo hard to read music, this "playing mostly by ear" is right down my alley.
We're even going to a Dulcimer Jam in Appling GA this weekend. I want to hear it played by people who know how. If you've ever wanted to play something, the dulcimer is declared to be "the easiest string instrument to play." Hey, if I can do it, anyone can. Of course, you have to like country music, or gospel, or irish, or celtic, or make up your own! I even saw a Beatles song book for the dulcimer.
It's really nice to be excited about something. My life has been BORRRRing lately.

1 comment:

largehearted boy said...

We have a friend in Birmingham who makes dulcimers, when he plays them it's magical.

Welcome to the blogging world. I found your site through Al.com's list of Alabama bloggers, my wife and I both keep weblogs and are in Decatur.