Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A New Teacher

The cleaning lady came today, and she brought her daughter. Her daughter is my age, but she has Down's Syndrome. While her mother cleaned, the daughter talked to me. I have had some experience with people with Down's as I dated a guy one time who's uncle had Down's, and he spent a lot of time with us. However, this girl seemed far above anything he had been able to accomplish. She could read numbers off the television. She recognized prices on the Price is Right. She even called out her bids on items and hit pretty close, closer than I would. You can tell she loves her mom very much. She says, "Mom, you're an old woman." Then the mom replies, "Well you're my old girl." Then they both laugh. I started thinking after they left, how simple her life is. She loves and is loved. She finds pleasure in simple things that we all take for granted. She is never cruel to anyone, and never purposely does anything wrong. She loves with her heart wide open. She is like an example of the kind of person we should all be. Being with her put a lot of things in my life in perspective. I worry over stupid things, things that in the long run, don't mean a hill of beans. It's amazing the people God brings into our lives to teach us things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool!