Monday, October 23, 2006

Pass me the Rhinestones, Dahhh-Ling!


I heard a joke once about how the French people sat around one day and said, "Those Americans are so dumb, I bet we could bottle water and sell it to them." And the rest is history. I buy my share of bottled water. We even have one of those spring water coolers perched in the corner of our kitchen, which we make good use of often.
But when I go to the store, and plunk down my $1 for a bottle of water, I can't help thinking what my dad would say about it. "Water? You are paying a DOLLAR for WATER? Why, I get all the water I want from the faucet. And I don't pay for it. It comes from a well. A well I dug with my own hands. And it's cleaner water than anything you get from those pipes the city sends it through..." etc. etc. etc. At least I'm paying a dollar, and not thirty five dollars for the latest BlingH2O, with rhinestones on the bottle for a mere $35!

When we took the cruise, my husband and I decided to have lunch one day in the dining room rather than the buffets or pizza bar. We were seated in a nice booth in the corner, and all was well until they decided to use up that space we didn't take up in the booth by seating Biff and Buffy with us. Of course, Biff and Buffy weren't their real names, but they might as well have been. They were manicured better than the White House lawn, and had the attitude to match. In five minutes, they asked, "What do you do? Do you have children? What schools did they attend? What do they do?" and on and on....Since we didn't have any Ivy League schools to mention, I guess they had put us into the country bumpkin category by then.

But just in case, we had not yet been relagated, we clinched it. The waiter asked for our order, and I ordered a salad and water with lemon. To which my husband replied, he'd have water, too, no lemon.
Biff and Buffy were horrified. "You mean you drink the water from the ship?"
"Uh...yeah. Why?"
"It's loaded with chlorine. It has more chlorine in it than our swimming pool at home! Can't you smell it? It's horrendous!"
"Uh, no, hadn't noticed whether my water smelled. Tastes ok to me."

To that, they turned up their noses and we all finished our lunches in peace. Buffy had her bottled water, and Biff, his iced tea. Made from what, I thought....That nasty chlorine water I bet...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we went on a cruise a few years a go, I drank the water the entire time I was on the ship.

Ha, you know his tea was made from that water :-)

Sorry I didn't go to Yale or Harvard so that you could brag.

Freebird said...

I'm sure they didn't use bottled water for his tea. I just hate snobby people.

Cathy said...

Oh my, you met my sister and BIL!! Everything is about where you went to school, what you own, what you wear and how much you paid for your vacation.

They take two cruises a year. They missed their summer cruise because of my daddy's passing. Then they come home and talk about all the well to do and important people they met. They come back to their country bumpkin life, things go back to normal and they feel good about themselves because they got to rub elbows with some rich folks.

Biff and Buffy probably live in a mobile home at the end of a dirt road but God forbid that intrude into their vacation and people figure out they are just normal old folks.