Sunday, January 07, 2007

Wrong or Right?


I watched the video of Saddam Hussein as he was being prepared to be hung, and as they put the noose around his neck. And I had thoughts that I immediately realized would not be popular with some people. I know the man was evil, that he was cruel and heartless to those around him, and that his death was probably justice for his deeds. But there was a part of me that saw him as a man, as someone's baby at one time, as a father, and as a child of God, and I felt sorry for him. I think when he faced his death he had fear of it, because of how he'd chosen to live his life. I wondered if he stood there wishing he'd done things differently. And I know he never had pity on his victims, but I had pity for him. I don't think that makes me less patriotic, but just human. I felt sorry for the man.
I don't know where I stand on the death penalty. I worked with a lady whose youngest son was sentenced to death for a murder both she and her son declare he didn't do. I think if someone murdered one of my family, I'd want them dead. But then there's a part of me that thinks two wrongs don't make anything right. So I have mixed feelings. I'd make a bad candidate for a jury where the death penalty was involved, because I honestly don't know if I could vote to convict someone to death or not. Maybe. I just don't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

His father left the family when he was a small boy. His mother married a man who hated Saddam.

The step-father used to beat him. Saddam had no formal education and was made to steal from neighbors so the family could have food.

Monsters aren't born, they are made. He turned out to be a monster but, I'm like you, I felt pity for him.

I believe in the death penalty but I am glad I'm not in a position to make such decisions about another person's life. I don't have it in me.

The Tuckered One said...

Yeah, he looked old and pitiful and almost made me feel sorry for him. But not after reading stuff like this and this .